Friday, January 14, 2011

Episode 11: Ted

 Season two, Episode Eleven
"Ted"

Some real evil is happening inside of Buffy’s house. Upon further investigation, she discovers her mother’s lover male companion. Buffy becomes very pissy when she learns that her mother has been dating when she’s been telling her that she was at the gallery working.



Now, this episode is boring so I'm going to jump around a bit. However, before I do, I'd like it noted that my favorite moment of season two happens when Willow makes that noise after Ted tells her she gets a free upgrade. So. Much. Adorable.


Buffy is Ms. Grumpy Pants and Willow makes me angry by talking about FREUD! Cue psychology nerd freak out rant. Freud has some pretty strange theories and basically, according to him, our entire person is basically created and set into place by the time we're five. If we are heterosexual, something happened with our parents before we were five. If we smoke, we have an oral fixation because of need our mother didn't fill. I'll stop ranting now because no one cares but basically I wish Willow weren't discussing Freud's theories. She can discuss other psychologist's theories. That'd be nice if she were to do that...

Ted stops the Freud talk by asking the gang to go mini golfing. Xander ruins Buffy’s oh so clever scheme of saying she can’t go because of “that thing.”


"I'm so smooth with my 'other plans.'"

*Yawn* Anyone else getting bored? Let's get to some brief notes:

-“I just don’t wanna talk about Ted all the time” “so you wanna start talking about something else” meow, way to be harsh Angel.
-Ted not letting Buffy redo her turn at mini golf because “the rules are the rules” and “right is right”
-"I’m not wired that way." Ted is proving that he is a huge creeper right now.

Even though Buffy is right with her thinking about Ted being evil, I think we should discuss a bit how Buffy jumps so quickly to the paranormal and the contrast between this episode and Puppet Show. Back in that episode, as Kali and I pointed out in our chat, she heard hooves and thought of horses, not zebras. Well now Buffy mirrors Kali by hearing hooves and thought of unicorns. It doesn't take much in this episode for Buffy to assume he's evil whereas she had tons of reasons before even letting the thought of the dummy being alive cross her mind. What does this show us? That Buffy is becoming more jaded through the years of her slaying assuming the supernatural before the natural.

And bored again. More notes!

-Buffy “kills” Ted. This is the first time we see her deal with the guilt of harming a human. Sad Buffy is sad
-The cop is a jackass. Though you can’t really blame him. A small girl like her killing a big guy like him? Her not appearing to be hurt at all? They can’t understand her properly.
-“I’m the slayer, I had no right to hit him like that.” (balancing her own rights of self-protection with her slayer strength and duty)
-While Cordelia is kind of a moron, she brings up an interesting idea of her following different rules. (See Also: Faith)
-Ted spiked the food or, as Willow puts it, “the secret ingredient isn’t love”
-I’m now terrified of salesmen. THEY’RE NEVER GOING TO DIE!
-If I was dating someone and they DIED and then suddenly CAME BACK I would be beyond creeped out. I wouldn’t hug him and want to take him back!
-And Ted keeps his dead wives IN HIS CLOSET?! SALESMEN ARE BEYOND CREEPY!
-“I don’t take orders from women” oh, bitch, you’re about to get killed now. We can’t speak that way on this show without getting our asses kicked.
-“Buffy, how about a nice game of Parcheesi”  LOL

Favorite Line: “I believe the subtext here is rapidly becoming a text” -Giles

And we're done with this boring episode! Aren't you excited?!? Tomorrow shall be another bad episode and then we get to the awesomeness that is Surprise and Innocence.

-Sarah

Kali’s Notes:
I don't have much to add other than a parapraph about my thoughts on a part of the episode.

     I know Ted is a patriarchal, misogynist asshole, but I'd be more sympathetic to Buffy if she wasn't being a brat about it. Furthmore, I kind of wish Ted was actually a human. I know we will address the consequences of a Slayer accidentally killing a human in Season 3, but I would have liked to see it especially since Buffy really did some things that she shouldn’t have. Yes, he hit her, which is wrong in a dozen ways, but this goes back to Buffy solving all her problems with violence. I would argue that she wasn't defending herself because while he smacked her first, it wasn't like he was preparing to hit her again. He hit her, so she just retaliated and even made a comment about being glad he hit her SO she could hit him. Add the fact that Buffy has supernatural strength that is supposedly far superior to an average human (and to her knowledge that's all Ted is) she really shouldn't have continued beating on him down the hallway. "I'm the Slayer, I had no right to hit him like that." That's why I don't like that he turns out to be a robot; it makes it so her actions no longer have real consequences like they should have.

- Favorite Line: Xander: “That's the sound she makes when she's speechless with geeker joy.” All nerds have their own geeker joy noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment