Friday, January 7, 2011

Season 2, Episode 5

Note: Posts will now be up at 10:00 AM PST everyday (other than Sunday of course). This is for several reasons. You may be thinking it’s so we have continuity to when things are posted so you know when to expect them, but you are wrong. It’s a good way to force Kali and Sarah to do things because we both have Thought Monsters that tend to distract us from doing things on time. Also, then if one of us fails we get to punish the other and that’s just fun. Anyways, today’s episode:

“Reptile Boy”


Yes, this episode’s title accurately reflects the quality of this episode. That’s one thing that I’ll give the writers credit for; when they write a not-so-good episode they at least give it an equally bad name. Later in this season “Go Fish” will continue to prove my point.

This episode was pretty cut and dry when it comes to the plot and underlying meaning. In fact, they tell you the moral of the story at the end, so if you want to save yourself the trouble of watching the episode go ahead and fast forward to chapter 14 or about 40 minutes in. Even the commentary with David Greenwalt was pretty dull, where he pretty much told you what was happening on screen and explained the more than obvious metaphors. Thanks for making this episode even more boring, David.

Sorry, I’ll take the sarcasm down a notch. The plot is very straight-forward and based on how once again Buffy is trying to balance her slaying with having a life, however this time it’s the fact that everyone is pressuring her to train and study more, when she just needs to have some fun. That’s understandable. Yet, she makes the very teenage mistake of lying to her parental figures in order to go to a college party. She has one drink and finds out the hard way that it was drugged. Their plans for her and two other girls is a little worse than date rape since they try to feed them to a demon so all the men in this society can remain powerful. Even the snake (phallic shaped) demon that comes out to attack them shows the point about how some men think they rule the world and women are there to serve them. Assholes. Buffy cuts the penis snake in half, saves the day, and learns her lesson. No seriously, she learns the lesson guys because she even talks to Giles about the moral of the story.
Buffy: “I told one lie. I had one drink.”
Giles: “Yes. And you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon snake. The words ‘let that be a lesson’ are a tad redundant at this juncture.”
And yet you say them anyway.

Ok, so there were some good moments in the episode. Cordelia is almost eaten, but sadly my dreams will never come true in that respect. Xander has taken a page out of Angel’s book and started stalking Buffy. He gets what’s coming to him and is dressed up as a woman, which is pretty hilarious. I have to point out that in this episode Xander is dressed in drag and makes the comment that Angel is “the guy you wanna party with”.

Hey Angel, guess what I have on under my robes...

And Willow! She is the voice of reason this whole episode telling Buffy it’s a bad idea to lie to Giles, but she is a loyal friend so she covers for her until she realizes that Buffy might be in trouble so she needs to come clean. Then she TELLS OFF GILES AND ANGEL. She points how Giles is always making Buffy train and putting too much pressure on her, and Angel needs man up and ask Buffy out. This episode, Willow, you’re the BAMF.
BAMF
I may not ship Buffy/Angel, but I still enjoy many storylines involving those two. However, I am so very much over them pointing out how “it won’t work”. He’s too old, she’s the Slayer, he’s a vampire, blah blah blah- either get over it and bone or quit your whining about it. That being said, I know I shouldn’t like this line; it’s cheesy and melodramatic, but for some strange reason I just love it. This whole scene with Angel and Buffy in the graveyard is just so passionate.
“This isn’t some fairy tale. When I kiss you, you don’t wake up from a deep sleep and live happily ever after.”
“No. When you kiss me I wanna die.”

Damn, just damn. I know this review is a little short, but if it was any longer it'd be as boring as this episode.

-Kali!

Sarah's Notes

As stated by Kali, this episode is pretty boring, so I don't have that much to add...

-Are they all braiding Willow's hair at the beginning? I have no idea what else they'd be doing but can Xander braid hair? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

-I love Buffy a lot, but she really irks me within the first few seasons with this whole why-am-I-the-only-one-with-responsibilities? act. I don't really expect anything else from her but I'm glad she gets over it.

-"...and probably an orgy" LOL WILLOW DID NOT JUST SAY THAT!

-Cordelia really is stupid. Does she really think that by screaming "WHO'S FIRST!?" that her life would be sparred? Dumbass.

-And Buffy uses the sword of Gryffindor to save the day. And Cordelia starts crying and saying how much she hates them and using hyperboles to threaten the naughty frat boys. All is right with the world again and thank god this episode is almost over.

-"Hey man, how you doing?" "Buffy" Angel, Xander said how you doing not who do you want to be doing.

Favorite Line:  "Nothing happened last week, don't worry, I was there." -Tom, I'm-a-stupid-frat-boy, Warner & "oh, Buffy, it's like we're sisters! With really different hair." - Cordelia

No comments:

Post a Comment