Saturday, February 5, 2011

Season 3, Episode 6

“Band Candy”

This episode is fabulous. Buffy, who already has adult responsibilities when it comes to slaying, is now forced to take on adult responsibilities in her regular life, which she has been severely lacking in doing. Not only that, but she has to actually “act the adult” when it comes to Joyce and Giles. Plus, this:


 Anyway, we start off with Giles quizzing Buffy on her SATs in a cemetery. Apparently libraries are for fighting evil and cemeteries are for studying. I like how this shows more of the Buffy/Giles relationship. Not only is he her Watcher, but he’s her mentor and teacher too.

The next day at school, the gang is discussing the SATs. Buffy shares her test-taking nightmare and Willow brags about how smart Oz is. Overcompensating much? Oz adds about Willow “She’s always cute”, which makes her feel horribly guilty, as rightly she should. I know you had a thing for AX since you were like 5, but look at who you are dating now! IT’S OZ! He’s just so Oz-like.

Principal Snyder forces the students to sells drugs candy in order to pay for new marching band uniforms. Somehow in this re-watch of the series, I’ve actually grown fond of Snyder. He’s a little man trying to exude his power over the students. This episode makes me feel bad for him since he obviously has never had friends. L

Now, Buffy tells 3 lies. She tells her mom she is training with Giles. She tells Giles she needs to go spend time with her mom. She actually goes to see Angel where they get all sweaty and she tells him that Scott and her are “fine”. 3 lies and you’re out, Buffy.

Buffy arrives home to find her mother and Giles confronting her about lying to them. I’m mostly distracted by the fact that Joyce and Giles have the munchies and can’t stop eating the band candy that Buffy sold both of them. However, Buffy points out how they are both attempting to control her life and she wishes that they would treat her with more maturity and as an adult. You know what they say, be careful what you wish for.

Back in school, Willow and AX playing footsie under the table is kind of adorable, I’ll admit it, especially how they jump apart when Cordelia turns to talk to them. Giles doesn’t show up for study hall, so Buffy decides that she needs to go check on him since that’s very un-Giles-like.

At Giles’s house, Buffy walks in on Giles and Joyce “talking” about her. I love how it’s a classic role reversal where the parental figures are trying to act “normal” so Buffy doesn’t suspect that they’ve been doing anything that they shouldn’t be. After Joyce gives Buffy the car keys to get rid of her, everything gets AWESOME. Giles and Joyce are regressing into teenagers and the old “Ripper” comes back. Fun Facts: 1. The accent that “Ripper” is using is actually Anthony Stewart Head’s real accent, not the one Giles normally talks in. 2. His ear is also pierced in real life. 3. The song that they are listening to is “Tale of Brave Ulysses” by The Cream and is it a great song.

Buffy and Willow go to the Bronze for a little fun, but discover that all of the teachers and several other adults are there getting their crazy on. The teenagers are of course creeped out, especially when Snyder starts following them around like… a lost puppy dog…no… a wannabe friend… no… AH! Like this guy:



We learn that at the warehouse that is producing this “special” candy, Mr. Trick has contracted Ripper’s old buddy Ethan Rayne to cause a little havoc in Sunnydale. This is to provide a distraction in order for Mr. Trick and his associates to perform some sort of a tribute. I personally think that Mr. Trick is in a tribute band that performs The Village People songs.

Joyce and Ripper are walking the streets, when Joyce points out a jacket that she likes. The store is closed so Ripper throws a trash- can thru the window. Right now I’m writing a song called “Hot for Ripper”. While I do not promote violence against authority figures, can we talk about how awesome it is when Giles beats up the cop and steals his gun? I’m pretty sure I’d react like Joyce does.

“Please do me on the hood of this police car.”

Buffy, Willow, Oz, and Snyder are driving first to Giles’s house, then to the warehouse where the candy is being kept after Snyder fills Buffy in on everything he knows. LOVE what Snyder says to Buffy, "Woah, Summers! You drive like a spaz!" Willow and Oz go to the library to figure out what the hell is going on, while Buffy and SNYDER go to the warehouse. At the warehouse, Buffy catches Giles and Joyce making out which is probably scarier than anything she’s ever seen. Snyder continuing to follow Buffy around is just about the funniest thing this show has ever done. When he later hits on Joyce, I seriously almost wet myself.

Besides the hilarity of this episode, we get to see a little more of the role reversal between Buffy and Joyce/Giles. She has to be the one to tell them what to do in order to try and protect them but they don’t want to listen to her. Sound familiar?

Everyone goes inside the warehouse, where Buffy discovers that Ethan Rayne is behind the candy bars. I like Ethan because everything he does is out of being a prankster, not maliciously wanting to harm people. He just thinks it’s funny for people to turn into their costumes or act like teenagers, and I’m pretty sure we all find it funny too. Now, in order to find out exactly why he wants to turn all of the adults into teenagers, Buffy chases him through the warehouse and some of the funniest dialogue ever occurs.
Buffy:  So, Ethan, what are we playing? We're pretty much in a talk-or-bleed situation. Your call.
Giles:  Hit him.
(Buffy glares at him.)
Ethan:  I-I'd just like to point out that this wasn't my idea.
Buffy:  Meaning...?
Ethan:  I'm subcontracting. It's Trick you want. I'm just helping him collect a tribute... for a demon.
Giles:  He's lying. Hit him!
Buffy:  I don't think he is, and shut up.
Giles:  You're *my* Slayer, go knock his teeth down his thro-
Buffy:  Giles!
Buffy:  (to Ethan) What demon?
Ethan:  I don't remember.

Yes!

Ethan explains that he was sub-contracted by Mr. Trick in order to keep the adults distracted while him and his vampires got a tribute for a demon Lurconis. What's the tribute? BABIES.

Giles remembers some of his training, like the fact that this demon dwells in the sewers. Giles, Joyce and Snyder all start arguing like teenagers when Buffy cuts in and tells them she needs “grownups” to help her.

Down in the sewers, the Mayor is performing this ritual for the demon, but takes the time to call Public Works about fixing the exposed gas lines. That should be his campaign slogan “I may be evil, but I still care.”

Joyce and Giles rescue the babies, while the demon attacks Buffy. Oh no! It’s a basilisk! Hurry, some get Buffy the Sword of Gryffindor! Well, I guess a broken gas pipe set on fire will work too.


DIAF Slytherin's Monster!

The next day all of the adults have returned to their normal selves, although things are a little more than awkward between Joyce and Giles. Buffy: "At least I got to the two of you before something actually did happen." Um…sure…

Favorite Line Xander: I don't get this. The candy's supposed to make you feel all immature and stuff, but I've had a ton, and I don't feel any diff... nevermind.

-Kali!

Sarah's Notes

-Buffy studying for the SATs makes me giggle. Especially her claiming she has to stop studying because she used her #2 pencil to stake a vampire and she doesn't have another. Then Giles gives her one and she pouts. I heart their relationship.
- Willow: "Oz is the highest scoring person that's ever failed to graduate!" Buffy: "Isn't she cute when she's proud?" Oz: "She's always cute." I completely agree, Oz.
-Cordelia on the SATs: "I'm actually looking forward to it, I do well on standardized tests. *Xander stares questioningly* What, I can't have layers?" lulz
-Buffy trying to convince her mother to buy 40 boxes of chocolate to give away at the gallery: "buy something pre-Columbian, get a free cavity."
-I think it's completely adorable that Giles buys the other half of what Buffy needs to sell. He's so awesome. Kali, I think you might need to start sharing Giles with me.

I think I has a crush

-Giles getting hit with a ball = priceless
-Again with Angel and his no shirt wearing policy! He should start a club, I think Simon Tam might join as well...

Enjoy

-"I didn't know you could do that" cue my sister and I dying of laughter. This has got to be one of the stupidest lines in Buffy. I can't explain why it's stupid or I find it so hysterical, it just is. Kind of like Harry saying he loves magic in Goblet of Fire; it's just dumb and you want to jump into the screen and shut his face before he says those words.
-Giles is "allergic to late" lulz
-BX = Before Xander. I really am starting to like Cordelia now.
-The chocolate is selling like hot cakes, according to AX, "which is ironic because the hot cakes really aren't moving."
-"I'm bored and he's not giving me credit for being here." I feel like this is a very accurate definition of many high school classes; you basically get credit just for being bored and not learning anything. Many college classes are like this as well...
-"Willow, that's a tree! Are there any nachos in here, little tree?" FAVORITE LINE!
-Everyone who is really grossed out watching Giles and Joyce together, please raise your hand. Everyone's hand should now be raised. Okay, you can put your hand down now; you look stupid sitting in front of your computer with your hand raised in the air.
-Joyce to Buffy "It's Willow, she wants you real bad." lulz I'm very immature and Willow won't want girls until next season.
-Where's Faith during all of this?! PEOPLE KEEP DISAPPEARING!
- Buffy: "I just felt so alone..." Giles: "that the math or the verbal?" Buffy:"mostly the math." lulz

2 comments:

  1. Even though all the adults appeared to be rather stereotypical teenagers(although think of what a tv show with high-school giles would be like), I adored hearing Giles accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A TV show with teenage Giles would make me so happy. Especially if Spike was in it. And they were a crime-solving duo, sharing an apartment like the Odd Couple.

    Another Fun Fact: James Marsters (Spike) copied Tony Head's (Giles) real life accent for his role as Spike.

    ReplyDelete