Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

Weekends are kind of hectic for both of us right now, so instead of a Saturday post, you are getting a recap of what happened last night!

Sarah and I (and a group of friends) attended the opening night of a live production of Dr.Horrible's Sing Along Blog. It was beyond amazing! The guy that played Dr. Horrible did a fantastic job in capturing his character and his voice was almost better in some spots than Neil Patrick Harris's. The actor playing Captain Hammer didn't have what Nathan Fillion brought to the character, but did and excellent job and was hilarious in his own right. The actress playing Penny had a superb voice, but I felt that she was slightly lacking on the character portion. She just wasn't very Penny-ish.

The play itself added it's own twists here and there to make it more interesting and to make up for the being live and not being able to change scenes as you can on television. I enjoyed the use of a projector and pre-recorded videos. I also liked the things they didn't change, such as the songs. Every song was exactly the same, which I think was highly appreciated by the fans (especially the portions we were invited to sing along to) It was a smaller production so it had a nice intimate feel.

My favorite part was when Dr. Horrible sang A Brand New Day. This is the song that I really felt the actor's emotion coming out in and the quality of his voice was outstanding. Another highlight was the entire audience singing the line "We'd do the weird stuff." We totally would for Nathan Fillion. "The hammer is my penis". Tee-hee.

Sarah will add anything when she gets a chance. Let us know your favorite parts of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog in the comments!

-Kali

Hey look, Sarah has spare time! As Kali mentioned, we're both very busy. Luckily though, I shall become a college graduate this Saturday meaning that I shall (temporarily) have more time! At least until I find myself a second job *head deak.* Anyways, the point is that soon I will have more time which means I will be going back to add my notes to Kali's episodes. Until then, I will post my review of the Dr. Horrible show.


I thought it was freaking awesome! Unlike Kali, my focus wasn't really on the individual actors, but more the atmosphere the created so instead of comparing how they measured up to Neil, Nathan, and Felicia, I'm going to talk about the difference between watching this at home vs. here at the theater. Obviously, everyone knows by now that Kali and I are huge Harry Potter nerds and the experience at this show was akin to that of a midnight release or a showing at an HP conference. Dr. Horrible and Harry Potter are great, great works of art and are always enjoyable. But part of the magic is lost when you are watching it by yourself on DVD. Watching this production was a great way of showing in an amazing moment with a bunch of fellow fans that we may or may not know, ever talk to, or see again. The show was brilliant because it allowed us all to be fans and experience the beauty of this piece together. It didn't really matter to me whether or not I enjoyed their acting, set designs, costumes, or props (even though I thoroughly enjoyed all four), it was just the fact that they created this show that was amazing for me. [/mild sappiness]


Plus, it was a ton of fun going to see it with a group of good friends. I'm sure most of you reading this blog are fellow introverts who live on the interwebz and enjoy time to yourself, but it's still nice from time to time to get together with fellow introverts and act like extraverts.


-Sarah

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite parts of Dr. Horrible is the song; "Everything you ever (finale)" because I can view it as a sad, longing song, while still keeping in mind that it is humerous.

    The idea of experiencing something with other fans gets me excited for Leaky Con. I've never been to a midnight premire before, but knowing that there will be people there who I can connect with without knowing gladdens me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be at LeakyCon?! We will too!

    ReplyDelete