Friday, December 17, 2010

Season 1, Episode 2

Season 1 Episode 2: The Harvest

It’s a well-known fact in the Joss Whedon community that he is an atheist. While I dislike anything or anyone that shoves their beliefs down your throat *cough* Stephanie Meyer *cough*, I do enjoy when they infuse it into the story in a way that make sense and promotes the overall theme. Here, Joss Whedon hints at his own beliefs, while making it part of the story that makes sense. After Buffy saves herself in one of the lamest ways possible (seriously, say crosses burn vampires as much as a hot stove burns us, they wouldn’t freak out as much as this guy does) she returns to the library with her friends. Here Giles explains how the Bible is wrong, the earth was not a paradise; it was actually run by demons. I love how Joss doesn’t just say that history was incorrect, but he goes as far as to say it was the complete opposite of what people believe. Furthermore, it fits so well into the story. It makes sense when he explains that demons crossed with humans to create vampires. That true demons left this dimension, but left reminisces behind and that is what we know today. I love you so much for this, Joss.


 Shh... don't be afraid Joss...

The next few scenes are pretty boring to me. Anytime we cut to the master, I get instantly bored. It might be his striking resemblance to the Great White Bat in Ace Ventura or it might be his boring way of talking. All I know is that I keep thinking “Will the freaking harvest just start already because I would really enjoy some pumpkin pie.” The Master just really annoys me. I prefer the random killings of Angelus or Glory just wanting to go home to the weird evil-religious villains that talk like they are reading from a grimoire. Also, what’s with villains killing their minions? Is there some sort of evil-union that they can get more from because um… you kind of need people to do your bidding to why are you killing them? I know they screwed up so punish them yes, but they won’t learn if they are dead.
  
Let’s talk about Xander for a moment. It really hit me while watching this episode how right here is a very defining moment that carries with him the through the entire series. Xander says, "I don't like vampires, I'm going to take a stand and say they're not good.” While this is a funny, obvious comment, it also leads us to the fact that Xander never stops hating vampires from this moment on. Even when Angel and Spike prove that they are capable of doing good, he still hates them. It might be that he will always have some sort of feelings for Buffy, but I think it’s more based on the fact that Xander is really quite stubborn. Once he thinks something, he very rarely changes his opinion. After taking away his only male friend, he has once and for all decided that all vampires are evil. End of story. Not gonna change his mind.

Now for Buffy. I know you have to keep the whole Slayer thing a secret, but you have friends that know would it really be such a big deal to tell your mom? We think that Buffy's mom is being mean by stopping Buffy, but in reality she just thinks that Buffy is going out with friends, which she shouldn't be doing if she skipped school. I understand it creates a good amount of drama having to keep this from her mom and sneak out of her room, but seriously Buffy, just friggin tell her. I also need to mention that in Buffy’s trunk there is a whole bunch or garlic. It’s barely brought up again, but we never learn exactly what about garlic wards off vampires. Crosses burn them, as does holy water, so what about garlic? Do they go into anaphylaxis if they eat it?

Ok, I know I haven’t been mocking as much, but I was saving it for the last scene. One, is it bad that I want Jesse to eat Cordelia? The entire time I want her to shut her big mouth, then she gets put in serious danger, and instead of her being the damsel in distress to me, I’m hoping she becomes dinner. Two, the Bronze again. WHY ARE YOU CARDING PEOPLE?? IS NO ONE UNDER 16 ALLOWED? HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? I really want someone to explain this to me because I don’t understand how in any reality this makes sense. Three, I am so glad Buffy’s (really it’s Sarah Michelle Gellar) fighting skills improve. Just the way she stands is kind of pathetic. You hold your fists like a sissy. Lastly, Edward Angel is being stalkerish. From the way he whispered “Good luck” earlier to following her to the Bronze is very much reminding me of the other vampire who shall not be named. If you start watching her sleep I will stake you myself.

 Yeah, I'm keeping my eye on you buddy.

The episode wraps up with my favorite line. It’s not the line so much by itself, but the fact that Joss Whedon is amazing enough to bring this line back for the very last episode of the series (with even the same characters walking away at the same school).

Giles: “The Earth is doomed.”

-Kali!

No comments:

Post a Comment