Monday, December 27, 2010

Season 1, Episode 8

Sarah had explosive diarrhea a thing come up, so Kali ended up writing this one anyway. That's why its late being posted, but I wrote a lot and even did research to make up for it.

“I, Robot… You, Jane”

The episode continues that pattern of mostly all of Season One’s episodes. There is a very basic plotline, but underneath that there are several messages. The basic plotline here is that a demon is released into a computer and through the Internet is able to be everywhere at once and start controlling people. This demon also starts a “relationship” with Willow. Some bad stuff happens, Buffy and the Scooby Gang figure out what’s going on, some horribly bad 90’s CG is used in a battle, and everybody chats in the end. Same ol'.

That’s really all there is, so I’m going to skip going though the episode in more detail and get straight into the major themes, plus some other random things.

First, a random thing that popped into my head. Towards the beginning we meet “Dave” and immediately I thought “OMG, IT’S ASH!” That is a reference to the amazingly awesome show Supernatural. That now makes the total FOUR of actors that appeared in Buffy/Angel to have also been on Supernatural. This leads me to conclude: Joss Whedon is secretly writing for Supernatural. It makes so much sense! Now I understand why every woman that the Winchesters date either dies, leaves them, or they have to kill. I always thought this, but now that there are FOUR actors appearing in both series, I believe I have undeniable proof.





Now to the more serious. The main focus of this episode is technology, obviously focusing on technology and its interaction with the supernatural. (Not the show Supernatural this time, just the word.) First, technology and dating. Obviously things are extremely different now as opposed to the late 90’s version of Internet dating. It’s mainstream now to meet people online, talk mostly through textual communication, etc. Back then, things were a little shadier because technology wasn’t advanced enough yet to allow for a full profile with hundreds of pictures and every little tiny detail about you down to your shoe size. Today it’s less likely for someone to be a serial killer posing as an 18-year-old girl on the Internet, but people in general are posing as something that isn’t really themselves.

Having experimented in the world of online dating, I could go on and on about all the pros and cons, plus all the ways things are different now compared to 13 years ago. I’ll save you that diatribe, but will comment on a few things in Willow’s case, which are similar to my experiences. If you really like someone "I'm thinking of you" is a sweet sentiment, but if you aren't that into him/her it instantly turns into something very creepy and stalkerish. So I understand both Willow and Buffy’s reactions to that part. (I also need to point out how Buffy doesn’t like how Willow met him, but it’s okay for her to meet men IN A DARK ALLEY.) Another thing is that it’s very understandable to meet people online. Even back then and more so today it’s hard to find people that you share interests with, enjoy talking to, etc. But telling someone you’ve never met in person that you are falling in love with him/her is CREEPY. Why? Because of my last point, which is: People are never exactly who they are online in person. I’ve talked with guys and had a real interest in them, then when I meet them I find out that in direct conversation that aren’t that person in real life. Forget looks because of course people are going to put their best looking pictures online, which will differ from their everyday appearance. I’m just saying that when talking to a person face-to-face, they are different than they are in textual communication. I like how instead of being frightened that Malcom is really a demon, she’s just hurt and upset by the betrayal. I feel your pain Willow. The main point of all this is, people will do a lot of things to feel loved, even believing a lie.

Now to another random sidebar. Can we all just take a second to LOL at 90’s technology? HAHAHA. That also makes me wonder- are people going to be watching our movies from today and laughing at our computers? Most likely. Come on, the scanning program they are using was called “Scan-o-matique”. Their web cams had pictures comprised of about 10 pixels total. They talked about information going over PHONE LINES. Are phones even connected to lines anymore? And IS THIS A LAPTOP?

Seriously, is this a laptop? Or a typewriter? Or a children's toy?
One good thing is that computer geeks are cooler now than they were in the 90’s, but it’s also more common for people in general to know more about computers. I also need to copy this from my notes because I’m not even sure the context anymore, but it’s great. “THE INTERNET IS A GIFT OF THE GODS AND DON’T TELL ME OTHERWISE”

It’s great how earlier shows/movies/books can be quite prophetic. As Giles is arguing against the use of computers, he states that we will become, “A society in which human interaction is all but obsolete. In which people can be completely manipulated by technology”. Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Giles is also right about books. I love the smell of books. I love the smell of libraries and bookstores. Hence why no matter how awesome Kindles and iPads are, I will never get one because I love reading a real book. Man would I love to hear Giles rant about people reading books solely on computers.

In the end, the conversation between Ms. Calendar and Giles says it all. Each person comes to see the point in both technology and … old stuff? While technology greatly improves many, many different things, it’s also detracts from many other things. There is no winner in this argument over how much technology is too much; the important thing to remember is to maintain a balance. Computers are good, but don’t spend your entire day/life on them.

And since we can’t have an episode of Buffy without discussing relationships, Ms. Calendar is introduced in this episode and she is the yin to Giles’s yang. She knows about the supernatural, but is very modern and hip. I like where this is going. On the same note of relationships is my favorite line:
Buffy: "None of us are ever going to have a happy, normal relationship"
(everyone laughs)
Xander: "We're doomed" 
(more laughter)
Oh wait... sad face.
-Kali!
P.S. We have a super-special surprise for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment